Monday 15 April 2013

::Show & Tell::Books


Back in February I thought I'd treat myself to a few of my favourite things. Reference books :)
I'd seen Fabric for Fashion: The Swatch Book mentioned on the blogasphere somewhere. I want to get familiar with different fabric types seeing as it was my birthday I thought "I'm going to get it because I can and you only live once".


While I was buying books; I've been doing some research into a few knitting topics lately. Knitting techniques to make knitting faster, like continental knitting. Also, knitting socks, but I'm pretty sure that I'd suffer Second Sock Syndrome. So I've been looking into ways to knit 2 socks at the same time.
I came across the technique of knitting 2 socks using the magic loop (I think that's right). Anyway, I bought 2 books on the topic, both by the same author - Melissa Morgan-Oakes,
2 At A Time Socks


Toe-Up 2-at-a-Time Socks


I decided that I was going to start knitting practice socks over the Easter long weekend. I didn't have a suitable circular needle so the Thursday before Good Friday I traipsed down to Tangled Yarns at Newstead after work and got myself a set of 4mm KnitPro Sympfonie needle tips and a 150cm cable (the book recommends a 100cm cable, but I thought maybe having a longer cable might make things easier)

If you follow my facebook page (like my page if you wanna :) )you'd have seen I've just finished knitting the practice sock out of the first book, 2 At A Time Socks. They are over on Ravelry.


I think I'll knit the practice socks from the second book in the same colours and give them to the Mister's nephew.

If you're interested in knitting 2 socks at a time Very Pink knits has a couple of great videos.
Knitting 2 Socks at-a-Time, Magic Loop, Parts 1-5
This tutorial is good if you have a super long circular needle.
2 Socks at-a-time on 2 Circulars
(Techniques to note: German Twisted Cast on; New Heel turn)

Until next time, I hope your on a creative kick,
Vanessa xo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really like reading your comments, so drop me a line by clicking to comment

Please don't comment anonymously though - you can leave your email if you don't have an OpenID.