Thursday 13 March 2014

::Sewing:: Refashioned Beach Dress


What happens when you take 2 large stripy knit tops, some elastic and a sewing machine.
A beach dress of course!

I was wondering around my local Big W awhile ago and I came across a sale rack. They were selling Plus size knit tops for $4. I wasn't too taken with what was there, but I saw some shirts that were too large for me, but I did like the fabric. Some ideas started brewing, so I decided I'd give it a go and bought a 22 and a 24. For the bodice I put on the 22 and marked about where I wanted the skirt to be then cut the bottom off.

I put on the 22 again and marked where I was going to reduce the waist line. Mucking around with the armholes was going to be too much of a hassle so I just left them well alone. I basted the side bodice seams on my sewing machine and after trying it on I just ran it under the overlocker (serger)

For the skirt I cut some elastic that was a little bit more than the circumference of the bottom of the bodice.

I wanted to maximise the amount of fabric I could use of the skirt so I cut the 24 just under the sleeves.

I joined the ends of the elastic and marked the quarters.
Note to self: make sure the elastic is not twisted before joining

I marked the quarters for the skirt with pins (centre front, centre back and 2 sides) and matched them to the marks on the elastic.

Using the tricot stitch on my sewing machine, while attaching the elastic I stretched the elastic slightly to match the circumference of the skirt fabric.


I marked the quarters on the bodice like I did with the skirt. With the skirt turned WSO I popped the bodice into the skirt so they were RST and matching the quarter marks. Using tricot stitch I attached the skirt to the bodice.
All done.

It reminds me of the swimming clothes people used to wear to the beach in ye olde times (that's a time period right?). Hence the name.

~What I Like~
• It was such a great simple project.
• I really liked the stripy fabric of the shirts
• I'm glad I able to avoid of mess of white stripes where the bodice and the skirt meet.

~What I Don't Like~
• It's a bit too short for comfort.

• The skirt part clings a bit and rides. (Most noticeable from the back)


• The armholes are a bit restrictive, but I expected that.
Don't ask my why my eyes are closed. :S

~Changes for Next Time~
• I'll have to give more thought to finished length next time. If I had cut the bodice at my natural waist I think I would have been happier with the final length.
• I'd like to tray playing around with the sleeves. Maybe a sleeveless dress next time.

STATS
Fabric2 shirts$8.00
Notions
  • Elastic
  • Thread
$1.00 ish
Time3/4 hours (* $16-ish Australian minimum wage) $12.00
Total
$23.00

~Final Comment~
I would rate this as a success. I'm pleased with how it came together, even if I'm not 100% happy with the end result.
I'm not likely to wear this out in public anytime soon, although maybe it could work with tights. Red tights :).
I rarely go to the beach, but if I did this would make a nice little cover up while mucking around.

I made a refashioned dress!

Do you refashion clothes? What was the last thing refashioned or wanted to refashion?
Leave a comment below, I'd love to hear from you :)


Until next time,


Lets connect

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. I really like reading your comments, so drop me a line by clicking to comment

Please don't comment anonymously though - you can leave your email if you don't have an OpenID.